With Jimmie Allen and Brad Paisley's February 2021-released single "Freedom Was A Highway" reaching country radio’s Top 20, the song--which is featured on both Allen's 2020 EP Bettie James as well as the project's 2021-released Gold Edition--now has a video.
Allen's duet with Paisley follows the 2020 single “This Is Us” (with Noah Cyrus) and a pair of number one hits, “Best Shot” and “Make Me Want To.” Currently, he's on the road as a special guest on tour with Paisley through Oct. 9, at which time he will then join Nelly on select dates this fall. Alongside the current success of "Freedom Was a Highway," Allen has announced he will be the Executive Producer of an episode of Netflix’s Titletown High, while Paisley has released the Nashville homage-as-single, “City of Music."
In the video for "Freedom Was A Highway" (which Allen directed), Allen is in a small town on the backroads, in a classic car. The video blends special effects with storytelling, plus a full concert scene. As for Paisley, he shows up on a vintage truck with a guitar in what appears to be a dreamlike state.
In a February press release regarding the single, Delaware native Allen noted, “When I was writing this song with my co-writers, I imagined myself driving down my favorite roads in Delaware. This song takes me back to simpler moments such as an innocent, childhood crush on the next-door neighbor or feeling freedom in the wind as you drive with the windows down. I’ve loved this song from the creation."
He continued, “I’m a huge admirer of Brad Paisley. I love what he brings to music and I had to have him bring that same magic to this song. I’m humbled to have him join me on this song – he brought the freedom to the highway.”
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024
- Tanner Adell Talks Touring, Luke Combs and CMT's Next Women of CountryTanner Adell: "I've watched and loved and admired the voices of women in country music for so long. To be here and considered one of them is a dream come true."02/12/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani, Sasha McVeigh, Scotty McCreery And MoreCindHear country music's best new releases this week in CMT's playlist The Roundup.y Watts02/09/2024