Jimmie Allen met music royalty over the weekend, when he enjoyed a chat with music icon Elton John.
"Got to hang with this Legend. Such a sweet soul," Allen said via Instagram. The "Freedom Was a Highway" singer didn't reveal further details about his meeting with John, but it's almost certain that great music was a topic of conversation between these two singer-songwriters.
Last night, CBS aired the Kennedy Center Honors and feted country superstar Garth Brooks as one of this year's honorees. Allen joined James Taylor, Kelly Clarkson and Gladys Knight in paying homage to Brooks. During the ceremony, Allen performed a rendition of Brooks' signature hit "Friends in Low Places," as well as "The Thunder Rolls."
In addition to Brooks, other honorees during the 43rd Kennedy Center Honors included Joan Baez, Dick Van Dyke, Debbie Allen and Midori. Other performers during the evening included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Rhiannon Giddens, Emmylou Harris, Sturgill Simpson, and more. Among the evening's presenters were Jason Aldean, Jackson Browne, Bradley Cooper, Wayne Gretzky, Steve Martin and others.
In addition, Allen is positioning himself as a creative force and multi-faceted business leader, having just announced the launch of his Bettie James Music Publishing company, teaming with Sony Music Publishing Nashville for the new entity. Allen's first signing is one of his closest collaborators, songwriter and bass player Tate Howell, who worked with Allen on his EP Bettie James. Howell co-wrote the track "Why Things Happen," which featured Darius Rucker and Charley Pride.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024