Patsy Cline's music is still garnering acclaim more than sixty years after she recorded it. The 1957 recording of one of her signature songs, "Walkin' After Midnight," is among the classics inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame this year.
Decades before American Idol, Cline sang "Walkin' After Midnight" on a CBS show called Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts, elevating her from regional stardom to national prominence. Recorded for the Four Star label and licensed by Decca Records, the heartache song rose to No. 2 on the country chart and No. 12 on the pop parade.
Yet it would take Cline four more years -- and a deal where she was solely signed to Decca -- for a follow-up hit. Her other recordings in the Grammy Hall of Fame include "I Fall to Pieces" (a No. 1 hit in 1961) and "Crazy" (peaking at No. 2 in 1962). Cline was killed in a plane crash on March 5, 1963. She received a posthumous Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995.
The Grammy Hall Of Fame was established by the Recording Academy's National Trustees in 1973 to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that are at least 25 years old. Inductees are selected annually by a special member committee of eminent and knowledgeable professionals from all branches of the recording arts.
The Grammy Awards will air live on Sunday, January 26, on CBS.
- Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson Talk Grit, Friendship And The Importance Of FamilyJelly Roll: “Life ain't about what you do; it's about who you do it with."02/28/2024
- Kelsea Ballerini To Return As Host For CMT Music AwardsThe 2024 CMT MUSIC AWARDS will air April 7 (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network.02/27/2024
- CMT Next Up Now: Scoot Teasley Sings About Moving On In "This Truck Still Misses You"Scoot Teasley: "The video and the song have a lot of moments in it that are fueled by emotions, and I hope that gets translated and accepted well."02/27/2024
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024