The platinum-selling performer appeared alongside the beloved talk show host for an impromptu rendition of Billy Joel's 1976 classic, "New York State of Mind." The collaboration does not come as a surprise, as his love for the pop singer runs deep.
In 2008, Brooks performed at the icon's sold-out show at Shea Stadium in Queens, New York, to deliver "Shamless." The rendition of the fan favorite is also featured on the country hitmakers record, "Ropin' the Wind." Brooks recently celebrated the 25th anniversary of Garth: Live From Central Park, where he performed "New York State of Mind" for one million people in 1997.
In honor of the milestone, the two powerhouses asked fans in attendance and watching from home if they could take a jab at the smash hit.
"Does anybody here know 'New York State of Mind'?" said Clarkson. "Anybody wanna sing with us? Anybody down? It sounds like a great idea, is all I'm saying. We should maybe just sing. I know it's a downgrade from Billy Joel, but I'm gonna do my best," she added.
Brooks exploded into the first verse of the familiar melody without hesitation, displaying his smooth like butter vocals. Clarkson effortlessly accompanied him on the jazz-like riffs. Before proceeding with the a cappella cover, he popped up from his seat to showcase a jaw-dropping falsetto.
"Some folks like to get away | Take a holiday from the neighborhood | Hop a flight to Miami Beach | Or to Hollywood | But I'm taking a Greyhound | On the Hudson River Line | I'm in a New York state of Mind," they belted with confidence.
As Brooks tackled the East Coast anthem, Clarkson praised his vocals. Following the show-stopping act, the two shared an embrace and the award-winning artist gushed over his superstar wife, Trisha Yearwood.
Brooks recalled a recent date night that made him fall even more in love with his talented other half.
"There's a million reasons why you know the love of your life is the love of your life," said Brooks. "I told Mrs. Yearwood, I said, 'Do you wanna go out to dinner tonight?' she said, 'yeah.' I took her to a baseball game for a baseball hot dog."
He continued to express his endless love.
"What I love about her is she's a guy, that's got all the great girl stuff," he clarified making Clarkson laugh. "She's fabulous. She is fabulous."
Brooks is gearing up to head across the pond to perform for a sold-out crowds in Dublin, Ireland. The crooner will return to the states in early October for back-to-back shows at Thunder Ridge Nature Arena in Ridgedale, MO.
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024