GRAMMY Award-winning duo Dan + Shay held a “Holiday Party” before New York City’s iconic tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney participated in the televised tradition Wednesday (Nov. 30).
The holiday special was star-stacked with some of the biggest names in country music – Jimmie Allen, Brett Eldredge, Mickey Guyton, Blake Shelton, The Shindellas, and more musicians across a variety of genres. The hitmakers
“Hi, we are in NYC getting ready to perform on the NBC Rockefeller tree lighting tonight (and watching the Pittsburgh Steelers game on our phones lol),” the two wrote on Facebook ahead of their performance. “ It’s a strange time in the world, but this city is still so magical,” they added.
The two stepped onto the perfectly decorated stage to deliver their latest track, “Holiday Party.” Smyers sported an emerald green tailored suit, as Mooney turned heads in a Hanukkah blue ensemble. The crooners brought the magic of the holiday season alive with an upbeat melody that displays their signature country-pop sound and witty wordplay. The sing-along-worthy lyrics cultivated a high-energy atmosphere that was contagious to overlook.
“We’ll throw a holiday party | Don’t tell anybody | We’ll pour us a drink and hang some lights on the tree | We’ll be jingle bell rockin’ | ‘Til the neighbors come knockin’ | So turn up the fire, playin’ on the TV,” they harmonized. “Watchin’ for Santa from the top of the roof | While we’re wrapped up in a blanket for two | We’ll throw a holiday party.”
The platinum-selling performers released the track in early November, long before Thanksgiving.
“We love releasing Christmas music, and it’s always so fun this time of year,” the group previously told Billboard. “But it’s a good time for us to ramp things back up. We get to play at the tree lighting this year, and we get to play on the Today Show. A bunch of other spots. So, going to be a fun holiday season for us.”
While on the red carpet at the 2022 American Music Awards, Dan + Shay shared what it was like to pen the Christmas track in the middle of Summer. They confirmed that the process was far from easy.
“It’s difficult. You always have to do it in the summer,” said Smyers. “You gotta get it recorded and released. For the fans, it’s usually like 95 degrees and 100% humidity in Nashville. We light up a little Christmas candle, and have a diffuser going, putting out the Christmas sense. So, we got in the spirit early.”
To paint the picture, the band dropped a music video. Not only does the festive clip feature their wives, Hannah Mooney and Abby Smyers, but it showcases the two putting their creative skills to the test to create an ultimate “Holiday Party.”
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024