Fresh off her Academy of Country Music Awards wins for Female Artist of the Year and Song of the Year (for her multi-week No. 1 hit "The Bones"), Maren Morris says she is already hard at work on her third studio album.
She told reporters in the ACM virtual press room that she is about "halfway there" with her new album, which will follow 2019's GIRL project.
"I think the bulk of the songs are in," Morris said. "It's just about the recording. This is the first time I've been off the road to make a record in a very long time, so I'm savoring that and not rushing it."
She noted that while GIRL leaned more toward pop and R&B vibes, her upcoming album will feature more of the "Texas, rootsy style that I grew up in...I think it's got a lot of Americana elements, a lot of rootsiness. It feels like me, but a very stripped-down version of me, and it's still extremely fun and energetic."
"I was saying this would be a good record to drive to, get ready to go out for a Saturday night to, or even cook to," Morris added. "So it hits all those marks."
Like everyone else, Morris and her family have had to endure a global pandemic, including a loss of touring revenues. However, the past year was also joyous for Morris and husband Ryan Hurd, as they welcomed their first child, son Hayes, in March 2020.
Morris says the new album reflects a more joyous tone.
"I would say, so far, it's a really uplifting record," the singer-songwriter said. "I think I'm in a much lighter place in my life, even though we're coming out of a pandemic. I think I've written the most intimate songs."
During Sunday's ACM Awards, Morris and Hurd performed a sultry rendition of their duet "Chasing After You." See the performance below:
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024
- Tanner Adell Talks Touring, Luke Combs and CMT's Next Women of CountryTanner Adell: "I've watched and loved and admired the voices of women in country music for so long. To be here and considered one of them is a dream come true."02/12/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani, Sasha McVeigh, Scotty McCreery And MoreCindHear country music's best new releases this week in CMT's playlist The Roundup.y Watts02/09/2024