Recently, country music superstar Alan Jackson has revealed he is living with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disorder, a degenerative nerve condition impacting his ability to tour and perform. "I've been reluctant to talk about this publicly and to my fans, but I have this neuropathy – a neurological disease that's genetic that I inherited from my daddy," Jackson shared on The Today Show to Jenna Bush Hager. "There's no cure for it, but it's been affecting me for years. And it's getting more and more obvious."
"It's not going to kill me – it's not deadly," Jackson continued, explaining Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disorder's relationship to muscular dystrophy and Parkinson's disease. "I know I'm stumbling around onstage, and now I'm having a little trouble balancing even in front of a microphone. I'm just very uncomfortable. I was starting to get so self-conscious up there...so if anybody's curious why I don't walk right, that's why. I just wanted the fans and the public to know. I don't want 'em to think I'm drunk onstage because I'm having problems with mobility and balance."
Jackson has been living with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disorder since first being diagnosed a decade ago. Though rare and with no known cure, the disorder is inherited. For the "Chattahoochee" vocalist, his father and grandmother had it, and currently, his oldest sister has it, too. Regarding if the condition would impact his touring and recording schedule, Jackson offered, "I'm not saying I won't be able to tour. I'll try to do as much as I can. I don't want people to be sad for me; it's just part of life. I've had a wonderful, beautiful life. I've been so blessed. It's just good to put it out there in the open. In some ways, it's a relief."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024