With her wide smile, warm hugs, distinct voice and can-do attitude, Lainey Wilson won over country music fans one sing-along – and one friend – at a time.
The country music community rallied behind her, and she was the big winner at the CMA Awards in November, taking the night’s top honor, Entertainer of the Year.
CMT went on the road with Wilson in December for a behind-the-scenes look at how Wilson keeps up with her life and rocket-ship of a career. “On The Road” with Lainey Wilson is out now.
“Everything from the ACMs and the CMAs, and here we are Grammy-nominated,” she said, explaining she was about to play four nights at the Theater at Virgin Hotels in Las Vegas. “It’s a little bit hard for me to wrap my head around. It’s awesome. It’s a great way to end the year.”
The documentary shows Wilson with her boyfriend, Devlin “Duck” Hodges, getting ready for her shows, rehearsing with Miranda Lambert, meeting fans, and performing, and includes multiple in-depth conversations about how she’s staying grounded and focused on what matters to her.
“My favorite part of the journey so far is seeing all the little girls in their bell bottoms and their hats,” said the singer, who is known for wearing bell bottoms and cowboy hats. “It’s wild, and I do feel a big responsibility.”
Wilson gave a similar speech at the CMA Awards and said it’s “something I’m working on right now.”
“It’s getting up every single day and looking at yourself in the mirror and saying, ‘I’m beautiful, I’m Godly, I’m smart, I am talented, and I can do anything I set my mind to.’ If somebody tells me I can’t do it, hold my beer. You’ve got to speak it to believe it.”
The mini-documentary shows Wilson placing a cowboy hat on a little girl’s head during the show and telling her she’s crowning her “cowgirl of the night.”
When Wilson gets overwhelmed and wonders how she will find enough energy to make it through her schedule and other “incredible things,” she remembers what it was like when she first moved to Nashville. She had to keep her head down and grind it out.
“It’s really crazy how that part of me has never really gone anywhere,” she said. “I’m still using that part of me to get further on down the road.”
The singer knows the music business is “crazy” and said, “If you allow the opinions of others to really eat at you, it can tear you down and be hard to get out of that hole.” She doesn’t let people’s negative opinions of her get in her way.
“I know for a dang fact I’m supposed to be doing this,” she said, sharing how she got her first horse.
“I go back to little Lainey,” she said. “My daddy brings this horse home that had never been ridden, and he puts me on the back of him. He’s like, ‘I got you a horse, let’s see what you got.’ I remember the horse bucking, acting crazy. I’d say, ‘I want down, I want down.’ And he just told me, you better hold on. But when I say I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it.”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024