Actors Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain will portray country music icons -- and legendary married couple of the genre -- George Jones and Tammy Wynette in the forthcoming Paramount+, six-episode, limited-run program, George & Tammy. According to Deadline, the tandem will sing the beloved duo's songs, likely to include the likes of their 70s era collaborations like “We’re Gonna Hold On” and “Golden Ring,” plus solo material like Wynette's “Stand by Your Man" and Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today." The series is based on the 2011-published book, The Three of Us: Growing Up with Tammy and George, written by the couple’s daughter, Georgette Jones.
In regards to what to expect from the show, in a 2013 interview about her biography, Georgette Jones noted, "I don't think [my family's life] is nearly quite as glamorous lifestyle that people think that is. It's just normal like everyone else. The only difference maybe is because of who they are we've been to places that maybe other people wouldn't have. Honestly, our lives are really much so not any different than everyone else."
In other George Jones news, his 2015-opened museum and restaurant located in Nashville's downtown Lower Broadway region has closed. "The George Jones Museum...started with the intention to have a place where George Jones fans could come and share in the journey of Possum’s life and music," stated a press release in regards to the news. "During the last several years, we have met many of you, shared stories and bonded not only over George Jones, but over country music, Nashville, and the spirit of all that encompasses."
The museum exhibitions, including the performer's stage outfits, instruments, and his John Deere riding lawnmower, are like to appear at a new yet to be announced location.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024