On the latest edition of Reba McEntire's "Living & Learning with Reba McEntire" podcast, the iconic country artist is joined by another icon, Keith Urban. Alongside conversations regarding the impact of marriage and family in his life and creative process, there are also touching recollections about the impact of two American performers on his formative years as a young country music fan being raised in Australia -- Johnny Cash and McEntire herself.
Related to the inspiration for his 2021 single "Wild Hearts," Urban recalled seeing The Man in Black play a concert in Australia in 1972. To McEntire, he states, "I [was rewriting] the verses [of "Wild Hearts"] to make them personal to me, [and thought] "where does my journey [with country music] begin? The very first thought I had was my mom and dad taking my brother and I to see Johnny Cash when I was five years old. That very much felt like the first part of it. So I wrote down 'saw the man in black, spotlight in the air, heard a thousand screams, saw my daddy stare' and then we were off and running."
As for Reba McEntire's influence on his work, he adds the following in a heartfelt note later in the podcast: "I grew up in Australia and I'm going to the CD store and there's a Reba McEntire CD and I'm like buying your CD's and now I'm on a freaking podcast with you, it's crazy."
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024