Darius Rucker says divorce has taught him that help is there – all he has to do is take it.
Rucker recently told Apple Music's Today's Country Radio with Kelleigh Bannen that his upbringing and community didn't embrace mental health support.
"You know, being raised the way I was and where I was, that's not always … and in the Black community especially, that's frowned upon a lot, too," said Rucker, who was born and raised in South Carolina. "But I learned that there's a lot of people out there that'll talk to you, that'll help you a lot."
Rucker and his ex, Beth Leonard, had been married for 20 years before announcing their split on social media in 2020.
Rucker said music has always been his therapy and that he wrote his song "Never Been Over" about the breakup of his marriage.
Lyrics include: We've been good and bad, hot and cold| And fightin' mad, solid gold| Been sunny days, straight-line wind| Been driven slow and guilty as sin| Been backroads lost, and blue lights found| Dead of quiet, rockstar loud| Been up and down like we're built on springs| We've been a lot of things
But until 2020, the couple had never been over. Rucker co-wrote the song with Brothers Osborne's John Osborne and famed songwriter Lee Thomas Miller.
"You write a song like that, and you sing it over and over, and you cry sometimes when you sing it," he said. "It's just one of those songs, and I love it."
He said writing it was like therapy.
Rucker and Leonard share children: Daniela, 22, and son Jack, 18. And while he admits that guilt comes with divorce, he said he's working on forgiving himself.
"You have to because life goes on," Rucker told Bannen. "Your kids are still your kids, and you have a life, and you try to make the best of it. Like I always say, (Leonard is) a saint, she's an amazing human being, and she's a great mom. And we get through life."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024