Old Dominion is back with the summer-ready new track, "I Was On A Boat That Day," penned by Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Old Dominion members Matthew Ramsey, Trevor Rosen, Brad Tursi, Whit Sellers and Geoff Sprung.
This take-life-as-it-comes track makes for a perfect laid-back summer jam, with this chorus: Is she gone for the summer?/ Gone for the night?/ Gone for the weekend or the rest of my life?/ Was she laughing?/ Was she crying as she walked away?/ I can't say/ I was on a boat that day
Ramsey says the idea for the song began around six or seven years ago, around the same time as their hit "Break Up With Him."
"We were kicking it around for a long time. We'd bring it up and shoot it down I don't know how many times we decided not to write this song," Ramsey told KFDI of the song's genesis.
Last year, Old Dominion decamped to Asheville, North Carolina for three weeks to focus solely on writing music for an upcoming album. The idea for "I Was On A Boat That Day" came up once again.
"We sort of laughed like it was a joke, but then our co-writers Shane McAnally and Josh Osborne helped us see...that it was not a joke title, it was actually a really fun title," Ramsey says.
They went to record it and felt certain that "it needed to sound like a party and it needed to sound a little, you know, intoxicated. So we drank some tequila and went in and did our best little party dance song."
The band recently took home their fourth Group of the Year honor at the Academy of Country Music Awards, and also announced a series of ballpark tour dates.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024