Aside from the release of his latest studio album The Way I Wanna Go, plus its star-studded lead single "Where The Country Girls At" (featuring Luke Bryan and Pitbull), Trace Adkins has something else to celebrate -- a return to the screen.
Alongside Susan Sarandon, Anna Friel, and Beth Ditto, Adkins will star in Fox's new series Monarch, about the fictitious Roman family, the "first family of country music." Related to this, Adkins has released his latest song, a cover of recent Country Music Hall of Fame inductee Hank Williams Jr.'s legendary 1981 hit "A Country Boy Can Survive."
"I've lost count how many times I've listened to Hank Jr.'s 'A Country Boy Can Survive,'" says Adkins. "Having the opportunity to record such an iconic song has been both exhilarating and daunting. I wanted to honor the original version while putting my own 'spin' on it. I'm excited for this to be the first release from Monarch and for fans to hear all of the music we have coming out."
Alongside the iconic Hank Jr. cut that Adkins has covered, recent teasers for the program's premiere have also highlighted what appears to be a cover of Garth Brooks' 1990 country classic "The Thunder Rolls." That track is sung by throaty-voiced and long-respected punk-pop performer Beth Ditto. The soundtrack that it appears Adkins is alluding to, featuring several pop-country favorites from generations of foundational artists in the genre, promises to be exciting.
Monarch premieres Sunday, January 30, immediately following the NFC Championship on FOX. The series continues with its time-period premiere on Tuesday, February 1 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).
- Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson Talk Grit, Friendship And The Importance Of FamilyJelly Roll: “Life ain't about what you do; it's about who you do it with."02/28/2024
- Kelsea Ballerini To Return As Host For CMT Music AwardsThe 2024 CMT MUSIC AWARDS will air April 7 (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network.02/27/2024
- CMT Next Up Now: Scoot Teasley Sings About Moving On In "This Truck Still Misses You"Scoot Teasley: "The video and the song have a lot of moments in it that are fueled by emotions, and I hope that gets translated and accepted well."02/27/2024
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024