Jason Merritt/Getty Images
In a Facebook post late on Saturday Night (June 13), Sam Williams shared the tragic news that his sister and her husband had been in a car accident. "My sister and brother in law have been In a terrible accident. Please pray for them so hard! Katie Williams and Tyler Dunning," he wrote.
And by Sunday morning, word had spread that his sister Katherine -- the daughter of Hank Williams Jr. -- was killed in a crash on Highway 79 in Henry County in West Tennessee. Dunning was airlifted to Vanderbilt University Medical Center and his condition is not yet known.
Katherine is the daughter of Williams and his third wife Mary Jane Thomas. She lived in West Tennessee with her husband and their son Beau, 5, and daughter Audrey Jane, 2.
In a recent gallery of vacation photos on Instagram, the young mother had said, "These days are wild with a 2 and 5 year old! In January this year, I decided to be more present and be more peaceful in all aspects of life."
According to news channel WKRN, the 27-year-old and her husband were in the single-vehicle crash near Antioch Road at 7:44 p.m on Saturday. Their SUV was towing a boat, and crossed the dividing median and rolled over. The crash remains under investigation.
In a social media post later on Sunday morning, Williams' half-sister Holly shared the news that Dunning was awake and responsive. "I have no words. On Friday morning I talked the family into taking this picture," she wrote, "and had no idea it would be our last together with my precious little sister Katie."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024