Walker Hayes is longing for the day when his stage production in concert is at the level of his performance at the 2022 CMT Music Awards. Hayes performed "AA" on Monday night's show with a line-up of professional dancers, and the energy they brought to the stage was his favorite part of the performance.
"This is what I want my show to look like at some point," he said. "Now I gotta do my own dancing, or I bring the kids."
The dancers joined Hayes during the "daughters off the pole" line, and he said it "made me feel as good as a dad can feel."
Hayes' "Fancy Like" is nominated for Male Video of the Year. Still, the chance to perform "AA" was meaningful because it was his first opportunity to sing something other than "Fancy Like" at an awards show.
"It's a huge moment for me," Hayes said. "It's a huge moment for my team because we are so grateful for 'Fancy Like.' If that's where it ended for me, my wife and I can say we, by the grace of God, we did the impossible. When 'AA' fell out, we were like, 'Man, I think this is gonna continue.' I think the fact that I'm able to do a new song now on a show while 'Fancy Like' is being honored that's a move in the direction we want to go. I'm just so grateful to CMT for doing that."
Walker said "AA" is "flying up the charts" at a pace he never imagined.
"What I love about 'AA' is, as fun as it sounds, if you listen to those lyrics, they're a little bit dark," Hayes said. "They hit, you know, they're honest. I love a song that's enveloped in this like fun, party city package. But when you really sit by yourself thinking of your lyrics, like, 'Hey, that's actually me, you know?'"
"Fancy Like" and "AA" is from Hayes album "Country Stuff" that is available now.
If you missed the performance the first time, catch CMT Music Awards Extended Cut at 8 p.m. (ET) April 15 on CMT. The bonus version comes with 30 additional minutes of new performances and extra content.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024