Recently, on CMT's Hot 20 Countdown, footage was aired from the taping of CMT's August 25th-premiering Giants: Charley Pride documentary and concert event. Hot 20 Special Correspondent Rissi Palmer and Pride's son Dion -- who also performed during the festivities -- spoke at length regarding the event itself. "[The event is] overwhelming, it really is. The outpouring of love and respect for [my father] has been really therapeutic [to feel]. [My emotions about my father's death] are still pretty raw. But this has been great," notes the country performer.
"[My father] was such a special man. His celebrity and musical accomplishments were great, but it's more the man that he was that everyone is here to celebrate," Dion Pride added in an off-camera interview. "The man that [Charley Pride] was stuck out more than his talent. Dad always preached humility, though. As kids, we never really grasped how [huge] of a star he was."
Regarding the event, its Executive Producer, Margaret Comeaux, says, “It’s an incredibly great honor to celebrate Charley Pride’s career from the perspective of those who knew him best - his friends, family and peers. As a true ‘giant’ in country music, Charley serves as an inspiration for present and future artists, and his legendary career transcends barriers with music that stands the test of time.”
From current artists like Jimmie Allen, who regard Pride as a superheroic mentor to fellow legends like Darius Rucker, who marvel at how timeless his joy in entertaining millions of fans over a five-decade-long career with 52 top-10 Billboard singles, or performers like Wynonna who spent meaningful time with him just before his untimely passing, Pride's impact on country music's most exceptional creators is apparent.
The star-packed, 90-minute event premieres Wednesday, August 25th at 9p/8c exclusively on CMT.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024