Finally, back after "Hard To Forget" and "Breaking Up Was Easy In The 90" -- two of 2020's most beloved country anthems -- is vocalist Sam Hunt. Via Instagram, he previewed a track tentatively titled "Came The Closest," a self-described "rough acoustic demo" of an emotional ballad.
'Cause I always gotta know what's behind the other door / I'm never gonna be that straight-laced Sunday-morning man you were lookin' for / Nobody's ever tied me down in a clapboard house, some kids and a bed of roses / But you came the closest ..." he sings, finding yet another pathway into an intriguing story-as-song. Hunt's April 2020-released album, Southside, was a pandemic-era favorite. Yet, he still, throughout the year, continued working in the studio after having to cancel his tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout this year, he's been slowly teasing new music, and now this snippet has arrived.
As he noted to PEOPLE in a September 2020 interview, he tired of "flipping the phone up on a bookcase and playing a song over the internet" during the pandemic. As far as shaking off the road rust, he added, "I haven't really played very much, I haven't really done much of the online thing. Some of our fans who we haven't been able to connect with for quite a while," the singer noted. "I'm excited to have a chance to play with all of our equipment set up and all the guys in the band and crew. I'm really looking forward to having the chance to spread our wings [again]."
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024
- Tanner Adell Talks Touring, Luke Combs and CMT's Next Women of CountryTanner Adell: "I've watched and loved and admired the voices of women in country music for so long. To be here and considered one of them is a dream come true."02/12/2024