Genre-jumping artist Jelly Roll debuted his new song "she" on Wednesday on Stoney Creek Records/BMG.
Jelly Roll, given name Jason DeFord, has a sorted past that includes incarceration. He's since turned his life around and is using his spotlight to help those who continue to struggle. He calls "she" "therapeutic music" as the ballad pulls back the curtain on what it's like to live with addiction for the person who suffers and those who love them. "she" focuses on the story of one woman as she tries to get her life together.
"'she' is about the struggle of addiction," he said. "'she' is about talking about the elephant in the room and addressing head-on the heroin and fentanyl epidemic that is sweeping the nation; the pharmaceutical pill problem that is sweeping the nation and has been for a long time. And I feel like it's an artist's responsibility to speak for those who sometimes can't always speak for themselves."
Jelly Roll partnered with Shatterproof, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending the addiction crisis, for the release. Eleven people die every hour from a drug overdose, and the song will increase awareness of addiction prevention, treatment and recovery resources provided by Shatterproof that will help save lives.
The music video for 'she' features actress Danielle Macdonald and will premiere December 2 at 7:00 pm EST, following his livestream on YouTube Rodeo at 6:30 pm EST.
The song's release comes just ahead of his sold-out hometown show headlining Nashville's Bridgestone Arena set for December 9. The milestone caps an already successful year for the artist whose Gold-certified single "Son of a Sinner" is Top 10 at country radio. In addition, he sold out large venues, including Red Rocks in Colorado, made his Grand Ole Opry debut, topped the Billboard and Mediabase Rock charts for two weeks with his debut Rock single "Dead Man Walking" – his first No. 1 as an artist/songwriter – and sat in the No. 1 spot on Billboard's Emerging Artists chart for 15 weeks.
For more information on addiction or to find resources, visit www.Shatterproof.org/SHEfindshelp.
- CMT Roundup: New Music from Keith Urban, Jenna Paulette, Scotty McCreery and moreFind this week's newest country songs on CMT's Roundup playlist.03/01/2024
- Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson Talk Grit, Friendship And The Importance Of FamilyJelly Roll: “Life ain't about what you do; it's about who you do it with."02/28/2024
- Kelsea Ballerini To Return As Host For CMT Music AwardsThe 2024 CMT MUSIC AWARDS will air April 7 (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network.02/27/2024
- CMT Next Up Now: Scoot Teasley Sings About Moving On In "This Truck Still Misses You"Scoot Teasley: "The video and the song have a lot of moments in it that are fueled by emotions, and I hope that gets translated and accepted well."02/27/2024
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024