Aubrie Sellers has taken her role as role model to the next level.
The singer-songwriter and champion for female empowerment is calling out the stereotypes of old and setting the record straight for the modern woman.
After watching a few classic movie clips from the 1950s and '60s that weren't very empowering for women, Sellers had a terrific idea: What if she took those stories and re-imagined them in a way that supported women today?
Thus began a mini-series of music videos dedicated to just that -- turning the antiquated notions of femininity and a woman's societal role on their ears and giving girls today a great dose of inspiration.
"I was inspired by these old films to take the female characters and modernize them and rewrite these stories with some girl power," Sellers said. "On my debut album, I wrote a lot about women and their roles in society. It's something that I think about a lot and will probably continue to write about on my next album."
Sellers teamed up with L.A.-based director Millicent Hailes to direct the videos for her songs "Magazines" and "Paper Dolls" with this theme in mind. "Magazines," the first of the two to premiere on CMT, rolls its proverbial eyes at current celebrity culture and takes on the 1957 classic Funny Face starring Audrey Hepburn to address the pressures women feel about looking and acting a certain way.
Sellers was recently featured in Elle magazine's Women in Music issue, alongside other female power players standing out in the crowd.
Stay tuned for the next installment in Sellers collaboration with Hailes, premiering Friday (Aug. 18) on CMT and CMT.com.
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024