Sister trio The Castellows were announced earlier this week as one of CMT’s 2024 Next Women of Country Class, and today, they’re debuting their new music video for their popular song, “Hurricane," on the network.
Iconic super producer Keith Stegall wrote “Hurricane” alongside chart-topping songwriters Stewart Harris and Thomas. Levon Helm first recorded “Hurricane” for his 1980 album “American Son.” Ben Humphrey directed the video.
The women, Ellie, Powell and Lily, say life nearly imitated art the morning they shot the music video in New Orleans because they woke up and the city was flooding.
“The water pumps were malfunctioning, and the clouds were overcast, almost as if the city knew we were going to be filming the music video that day,” they explained. “This music video brings so much life into this song, and we think that is largely due to the way we were able to capture the city of New Orleans.”
Lake Ponchartrain and Louisiana are namechecked in the song, and The Castellows knew they wanted to film the clip in New Orleans.
“We really lean into what makes the city so unique and special: Lake Ponchartrain, the levee, the French Quarter, the cemeteries,” they said. “We really wanted to capture the heart of the city with this video.”
The first time the women watched the music video, they thought it was incredible. They said they knew the concept was cool but explained that “the final project blew us away.”
“The most important thing for us was that it captured the spirit of the song and also that we’d feel proud of it,” they explained. “Both of those things are true in our minds. We want fans to watch this video and live in our version of such an iconic song. We want them to feel almost taken back in time and for the viewer to live in the story of this song.”
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024