"Sober & Skinny" -- talented singer-songwriter Brittney Spencer's latest single -- presents the most direct personal presentation to date of her creative style and voice. "The passion and the theatrics displayed throughout the video amplify the emotion in the song. The video gave me an opportunity to act out the emotions that I felt when we were writing 'Sober & Skinny,'" Spencer says.
"It felt pretty surreal getting to watch the finished video for the first time," the "'Sorrys Don't Work No More' vocalist says. In relation to the clip directed by Nicki Fletcher and Darryl Hargrove, Spencer says, "This is my first time actually making a video for one of my songs. Filming this video felt so seamless. It was effortless, and it felt pretty magical getting to see myself perform. I’m really proud of this song and the journey it’s taking my collaborators and me on."
"I’m not sure there’s a message in the song, but maybe there’s an opportunity to hear a story about a person wrestling with feeling pressure to change from someone who probably has something they could change, too," Spencer adds.
Regarding her musical journey, Spencer told Baltimore Magazine in February 2021, "I’d always wanted to do country music, I just never had the nerve. I didn’t know if I could do it. I’d watch interviews with Taylor Swift and Reba—I’m really big on documentaries—and they’d say their parents knew they could sing, and they always moved to Nashville. So that stayed in my mind. I kept getting laid off from jobs—I’d gotten laid off three times in a row—because it was just a rough time, economically, in the city. I was like, 'You know what? This is miserable, I don’t have money, and if I’m gonna be miserable, I at least want to be doing something I love.'"
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024