"Music videos are a chance for me to tell more of the story of the song. So while I always strive for my music to be universal, I've been letting more of my personal story play a part in the videos," says Cameron Hawthorn to CMT about the video for his latest single, "Love at First Sight." The openly gay singer-songwriter, originally from Kansas, now living in Nashville, continues, "For a long time I've had this vision of my life in the country, living on a ranch, and only in my wildest dreams would that be with my dream cowboy."
The clip also has an incredibly personal and familial connection to Hawthorn, who adds, "the jacket I'm wearing in the video is my grandfather's jacket who recently passed away. My Pappa was an Oklahoma cowboy, always watching country westerns, and loved wearing his bolo tie, cowboy hat and boots, and this jacket. I had come out to my Pappa before he died in a letter I wrote him and my Mamma. He never said anything about the letter - he wasn't the kind of man who spoke about his feelings - but I didn't need him to. After he passed away, my Mamma gave me his jacket, and I decided I would wear it in the video. I released the song on his birthday, and when we were shooting the video, I can remember looking at the sunset and knowing he was looking down and smiling."
In total, Hawthorn hopes that his yearning desires inspire people to "keep holding on to the belief that it could happen to them. People often dream of finding love, but it's pretty hard to find if you're not looking."
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024
- Tanner Adell Talks Touring, Luke Combs and CMT's Next Women of CountryTanner Adell: "I've watched and loved and admired the voices of women in country music for so long. To be here and considered one of them is a dream come true."02/12/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani, Sasha McVeigh, Scotty McCreery And MoreCindHear country music's best new releases this week in CMT's playlist The Roundup.y Watts02/09/2024