Legendary western swing act Asleep At The Wheel celebrates their 50th anniversary with the October 1 release of a 19-song collection, Half A Hundred Years. Among the songs in this collection include the Austin, TX-based band pairing with George Strait and Willie Nelson for a cover of Bob Wills' “Take Me Back To Tulsa,” a song Asleep At The Wheel first recorded in 1972.
“To me, it doesn’t get more Texan than George, Willie, and Asleep at the Wheel doin’ a Bob Wills classic,” said the band's lead singer Ray Benson via press release. The album also features appearances by original Asleep at the Wheel members Chris O’Connell, Leroy Preston, and Lucky Oceans. Plus, KUTX DJ Elizabeth McQueen, who played with the band for almost a decade, appears.
Benson added, “To finally get this album finished and out feels like the end of a long strange trip, to coin a Grateful Dead phrase. From full speed ahead to a dead stop in March 2020, navigating the new landscape of pandemic recording was a new challenge for sure!”
Regarding the album's recording process and hopes for the next steps, Benson added, "Having the original band members interacting with current and former band members brought some of the most talented musicians playing the wide variety of music that is Asleep at the Wheel! Looking forward to the summer and fall tours to get folks dancing and boogieing again!"
Half A Hundred Years -- featuring collaborators that also include Lyle Lovett, Emmylou Harris, Lee Ann Womack and more -- can be pre-ordered by clicking here.
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024
- Tanner Adell Talks Touring, Luke Combs and CMT's Next Women of CountryTanner Adell: "I've watched and loved and admired the voices of women in country music for so long. To be here and considered one of them is a dream come true."02/12/2024