In a social media post, Pearce announced that “Never Wanted To Be That Girl” was the No. 1 song in country music.
“When @ashleymcbryde and I were writing ‘Never Wanted To Be That Girl’ with @shanemcanally, we were just in the moment, thinking about the women we want to be and the way that’s not always how life and love turn out,” she wrote. “But nobody ever paused long enough to think about having a #1 record or winning an Academy of Country Music Award. We wanted to shake off an honest mistake, and now here we are with the No. 1 song at Country radio and the ACM trophy for Music Event of the Year.”
She added: “Sometimes out of something bad comes something good.”
Pearce and McBryde wrote ‘Never Wanted To Be That Girl’ with Shane McAnally.
“Thank you to everyone who plays Country music, our fans, our record labels, management teams, agents, our bands, and everyone in between,” she continued. “Ashley, I am so proud to call you my friend, my sister and I will forever be grateful for this song bringing us together. Gonna go cry for the 100th time! ♥️”
“Never Wanted To Be That Girl” is from Pearce’s album “29: Written In Stone.”
McBryde told CMT that you’d never expect them to be friends when you look at them, but they are.
“If you were to handpick two women in country music who would be pals, Carly and I are really different,” McBryde said. “She is tall with lighter hair, more clean-cut, very well-spoken and put together. I’m this Tasmanian devil that comes in the room making jokes with finger pistols. It doesn’t seem like we would be close friends, but we loved and respected each other so much we sat down and wrote this song together.”
Their friendship blossomed through writing and performing “Never Wanted to Be That Girl,” and now their respective fan groups are making friends, too.
“We solidified the way we feel about each other, and the love and respect just grows and grows,” McBryde said. “And thanks to that, our fans get to meet and love and respect each other, too.”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024