The snow has melted and new country songs are popping up like spring flowers. Check out CMT's The Roundup for new music from Morgan Wallen, Tyler Hubbard, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban, MacKenzie Porter and more.
Morgan Wallen, “Spin You Around (1/24)”: I'm writing y'all from a duck hunting trip because I want to fill you in on something happening tonight.
Back in 2014, I went to Florida to try my hand at making original music & songwriting for the first time. This led to a recording deal with a local investor & an artist management deal that I deeply regret. Unfortunately, I signed both deals without any legal representation.
We made 13 songs. Some were ok, most were terrible as I was just learning how to write in general & figuring it all out. I was not the only collaborator, so many of these songs were not my idea nor to my standards. We deemed 5 worthy-enough to make the Stand Alone EP which includes a fan-favorite, “Spin You Around.”
Tonight, those colleagues I parted ways with almost 10 years ago plan to release a “10th Anniversary” edition of Stand Alone against my wishes & include 8 unreleased songs, distributing it with the assistance of my former managers. For months I've been exploring every avenue possible to acquire the rights to this old music & keep the quality of my catalog consistent with songs I choose to release & believe in.
It's gross, greedy & an example of how the dark side of the music business can suck the soul out of artists.
I want you to know this is NOT my new music & I don't want to see this happen to anyone else. I cringe when I listen to these songs & I'm concerned my fans may mistakenly believe this is a new release by me. I begin recording my next project at the end of February. I'm feeling inspired creatively & super excited to make more music I'm proud of.
1. I re-recorded “Spin You Around (1/24)” this week in Nashville & it comes out TONIGHT. Thank you, Joey Moi & Bryan Sutton. I did the artwork myself while in the woods duck hunting. Hope you like it, lol.
2. I am donating $100k from the Morgan Wallen Foundation to the Volunteer Lawyers & Professionals For The Arts (VLPA) program. I hope young aspiring musicians read this story & know they should never have to give up their creative freedoms for an opportunity in this business.
3. Trust me, when new music is ready, you'll hear it directly from me.
Jordan Shellhart with Charlie Worsham, “A Nice Thing To Do”: “I’ve looked up to Charlie since before he even released any solo music. He’s an absolutely world class artist,” Shellhart said. “And he’s taking me out on tour this year, which is the NICEST, nice thing to do. So having him on this song really is a dream come true.”
Wyatt Flores, “Milwaukee”: “‘Milwaukee’ is for all the times that you’ve loved someone but didn’t fully love them,” Flores said. “It’s a love letter to love lost with the clarity of mistakes made,” shares Wyatt Flores. “We all hope that our mistakes don’t define us, and Milwaukee is about just that. Love is an action, and if you don’t work to hold onto it, it’ll slip through your fingers.”
MacKenzie Porter, “Easy To Miss”: “Nobody's born with a broken heart,” shares Porter. “We all start with the naivety and innocence of youth, but then life happens. There are so many circumstances and events in a lifetime that can slowly chip away at your heart, and in the end you're this beautiful, imperfect, cracked, mess. But isn't that what living really is? If you didn't have the grit, would you really know the grace? This is what this record is about. These songs are those moments in my life.”
Kameron Marlowe and Ella Langley, “Strangers”: “'Strangers' is about a toxic relationship with the battle of breaking up or staying together,” shares Marlowe. “This couple is so twisted in their everyday lives that they know they will fall back into the trap if they see each other out on the town. I love how this song builds. I feel like you can really feel the energy."
“We wrote 'Strangers' about a relationship that feels impossible to escape,” adds Langley. “Damned if you stay, damned if you leave. A good ole fashioned 'catch 22.' What do you do when you can't stay lovers because it hurts too much, or friends, because it hurts too much? The only thing left to do is to leave the relationship in the memories and walk away. But even that seems like it'd end with the same result – heartbreak.”
Mason Ramsey, “Here All Day”: “Here All Day” is dedicated to the person in your life that you just want to spend time with, no matter what it is and where you are - just being with them is all you need.”
Chase McDaniel, “Blame It All On Country Music”: “Everybody has those things that make them who they are—my papaw raised me on the classics and I felt their beat in my DNA. From sneaking in to play in smokey bars, the memories/mistakes I made on crazy nights, to chasing the dream of singing my own songs in Nashville, I can blame it all on Country music,” shares McDaniel. “This EP is a little bit of a mosaic of who I am, each song was written about a thought, situation or mood I’ve experienced or observed. It’s a brief introduction—and I look forward to sharing even more.”
Jillian Cardarelli, “I Hate Chevys”: “It's always fun to share a different take on a heartbreak song,” said Jillian Cardarelli. “When your heart is aching after a breakup, something simple can remind you of them that stops you in your tracks. What's unique is that the character in this song wants to blame Chevrolet's popularity and reliability for her pain, but what we all know is that it's really about those everyday reminders of someone we're missing that sting the most. And by the way, I love Chevys.”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024