At home, he's just daddy to he and his wife Hayley's three kids -- Liv, 3, Luca, 2, and Atlas, 1.
Hubbard recently joined Hayley on "Meaning Full Living," the podcast about parenting she co-hosts with Jessica Diamond, a registered dietitian nutritionist. The episode was dedicated to obedience, and Hubbard eagerly shared stories of how he was raised – and how he and Hayley are doing things differently with their kids, at least for the moment.
"We haven't spanked our kids," the singer shared.
It's a statement the singer said he's a bit surprised to make. He and his wife grew up getting spanked – he decidedly more than Hayley. Hubbard said his dad would send him to his room, talk to him about what he did wrong, show him the passage in the Bible that talks about spanking and then deliver the "licks." Sometimes, he said, he got spanked every other day. It was a much rarer occurrence for Hayley.
"Before I became a parent, I would have said, 'Of course, I'll spank my kids if they need it," Hubbard said. "As I got older, I would say I want to communicate with my kids and not let spanking be the primary form of discipline."
He said he knows kids are different and that Liv doesn't need to be spanked. He shared that most of the time, his boys get in trouble for hitting and that it doesn't make sense to punish them for hitting by spanking them. He admitted that he raised his voice at his daughter, hurting her feelings.
"She got scared, and she got upset," he said. "I thought, 'Man, that's terrible.'"
He said he could have maintained that he's the bigger, stronger person, and she has to do what he says. Instead, he said, he chose to repair the relationship and apologize.
"I was able to come to her level and say, 'Daddy is really sorry. I should not have talked to you that way," he shared. "Hayley and I want compliant kids, but we also want kids who trust us and want to talk to us about things."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024