As many are aware, Trisha Yearwood is the stepmom of Garth Brooks' three daughters Taylor, August and Allie, from his marriage to his ex-wife Sandy Mahl. The superstar two-some have been together since 2005 though. And over the past 16 years -- as Yearwood tells PEOPLE -- she's "learned [her] way, and is grateful that the "The Thunder Rolls" singer's three daughters have "allowed me to be that third parent in their lives."
Continuing, she adds the poignant note that, "[Brooks' three daughters] were a gift that I didn't know I needed. I didn't know how much children brought into your life until I got a chance to be a part of their lives." As well, she humorously notes, "I had a dog before I married Garth but no children of my own. I never even really babysat! So I didn't know what to do with three young girls. Garth was such a wonderful mentor to me as to how to be a parent, and he told me, 'You'll find your way with each of them. Don't try to be their best friend, and don't try to be their mom.'"
Though she famously contracted COVID-19 in the past year, she notes that the family bonding time that quarantine has allowed has been essential. "We've been together basically 24/7," she says. "We kind of lost that as we got busier in our lives, and I think that getting that time back was really valuable for us as a family, especially for me being a bonus mom."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024