Country-rock breakout star HARDY has come a long way since his 2020 debut album "A ROCK." With over a billion on-demand streams, numerous chart-topping hits, and prestigious accolades under his belt – the ACM Songwriter of the Year recently (October 10) announced his highly anticipated sophomore album, "the mockingbird & THE CROW."
Earlier this month, the "BOYFRIEND" singer and his crew were involved in a bus accident. The crash left several of the men hospitalized and placed a significant halt on several of his upcoming plans. Although the artist was forced to call in good friend and fellow musician Ernest to step in for a string of show dates, he decided to still move forward with his music release schedule.
The Mississippi native turned to social media late Sunday (October 9) evening to give a health update and to announce three new tracks – "here lies country music," "the mockingbird & THE CROW," and "TRUCK BED."
"What's up, guys? HARDY here. Feeling a lot better. Um, feeling much better, still a little bit banged up, but man, definitely on the upswing. And everybody in the accident is also on the upswing. Thank you for all of your prayers. It's been a rough few days, but everybody's doing great," he confirmed in a short social media clip. "I've been going back and forth on, you know I have a lot of big announcements I was to make. Things I want to post, and things I want to announce, and I was kind of wondering if I should push some of that to down the road. I've talked to everybody and everybody's like, 'Man, let's keep the train rolling.'"
As the vocalist provides fans with a small taste of what to expect from the full-length project, HARDY said that he's excited to receive feedback.
"I can't wait for y'all to hear em," he shared full of enthusiasm. "I can't wait to see what you guys think about the different songs," he added.
The LP is slated to come on January 20 via Big Loud Records and will kick off a new chapter in his critically acclaimed career. HARDY will intertwine his deep-rooted love for rock and his signature country twang within his 17-song collection. The two-part project was recorded between Ocean Way and Blackbird Studios in Nashville alongside world-renowned producers Joey Moi and Derek Wells. Notable names such as David Garcia, Jordan Schmidt, Ben Johnson, Andrew Wade, Jeremy McKinnon, and Cody Quistad also had a hand in co-production on select tracks.
The robust singer-songwriter, best known for his distinctive ear and musical risk-taking, recruited Music Row's finest to cultivate the collection. In fact, HARDY believes the title track is the best song in his impressive catalog thus far.
"'the mockingbird & THE CROW' is, in my opinion, the best thing I've made so far," he explained in a statement. "I had a lot of time to get in the weeds making this record with some of my favorite people in Nashville, and it truly captures every part of who I am as an artist. I'm honored that I get to share it with you next year; can't wait to hear what you think about it."
As the rich lyrics touch upon HARDY's humble beginnings in the deep south, "here lies country music" pays homage to legends and familiar singles that left a major mark on the industry. HARDY co-wrote the captivating song with Cole Taylor, Brett Tyler, and Will Weatherly. Together, they use imagery to paint a picture of life without country music. As the tribute track displays his infectious sound, "TRUCK BED" proves his a genre-bending artist with a bright future ahead.
The country-pop banger is also infused with head-banging rock elements and a catchy chorus, similar to HARDY's fan favorite "SOLD OUT." The well-rounded collection will also include his chart-climbing duet "Wait In The Truck" featuring Lainey Wilson and his recent release "JACK."
Ahead of the album release, the savvy songwriter turned high-energy performer will embark on his first headlining run, Wall to Wall Tour. The trek will begin on December 1 in Athens, Georgia, with Jackson Dean. For Tickets and upcoming appearances, visit hardyofficial.com.
the mockingbird & THE CROW Track List
1. beer (Michael Hardy, Ashley Gorley, Ben Johnson, Hunter Phelps)
2. red feat. Morgan Wallen (Michael Hardy, Rhett Akins, Ben Hayslip, Jacob Rice)
3. wait in the truck feat. Lainey Wilson (Michael Hardy, Renee Blair, Hunter Phelps, Jordan Schmidt) ^
4. drink one for me (Michael Hardy, David Garcia, Hunter Phelps)
5. i in country (Michael Hardy, Smith Ahnquist, Nick Donley, Jake Mitchell, Hunter Phelps)
6. screen (Michael Hardy, Jessie Jo Dillon, Matt Dragstrem, Hunter Phelps)
7. happy (Michael Hardy)
8. here lies country music (Michael Hardy, Cole Taylor, Brett Tyler, Will Weatherly)
9. the mockingbird & THE CROW (Michael Hardy, Jordan Schmidt, Brett Tyler) ^
10. SOLD OUT (Michael Hardy, David Garcia, Hunter Phelps) *
11. JACK (Michael Hardy, David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey) *
12. TRUCK BED (Michael Hardy, Ashley Gorley, Ben Johnson, Hunter Phelps) +
13. .30-06 (Michael Hardy, Cameron Montgomery, Hunter Phelps)
14. I AIN'T IN THE COUNTRY NO MORE (Michael Hardy, David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey) *
15. RADIO SONG feat. Jeremy McKinnon (Michael Hardy, Zach Abend, Nick Donley, Jeremy McKinnon, Cody Quistad)~
16. KILL SH!T TILL I DIE (Michael Hardy, David Garcia, Hunter Phelps) *
17. THE REDNECK SONG (Michael Hardy, Andy Albert, Nick Donley)